Welcome to PittNAIL, the University of Pittsburgh's Clinical Natural Language Processing and Artificial
Intelligence Innovation Laboratory. PittNAIL is led by Dr. Yanshan Wang.
PittNAIL's research focus centers on clinical Natural Language Processing (NLP), Artificial
Intelligence (AI), Machine Learning (ML), and Deep Learning (DL) methodologies and applications in
healthcare. Our research goal is to leverage different dimensions of data (electronic health
records, biomedical literature, health education materials, etc) and data-driven computational
approaches (NLP/AI/ML/DL) to meet the needs of clinicians, researchers, patients, and customers.
- July 17, 2023 Our 5-year R01 grant "Closing the loop with an automatic referral population and summarization system", in colloration with Yifan Peng from Cornel, Justin F. Rousseau, Ying Ding, and Greg Durrett from UT Austin, is funded by NLM!
- July 6, 2023 Our paper "ReDWINE: A Clinical Datamart with Text Analytical Capabilities to Facilitate Rehabilitation Research" is published in the International Journal of Medical Informatics.
- April 22, 2023 Our paper "Few-Shot Learning for Clinical Natural Language Processing Using Siamese Neural Networks" is published in JMIR AI.
- March 1, 2023 The paper "Less Likely Brainstorming: Using Language Models to Generate Alternative Hypotheses" is accepted by ACL 2023.
- Dec 20, 2022 Two papers titled "Toward Improving Health Literacy in Patient Education Materials with Neural Machine Translation Models" and "Automated Fidelity Assessment for Strategy Training in Inpatient Rehabilitation using Natural Language Processing" are accepted by AMIA 2023 Informatics Summit. Congratulations to David and Hunter.
- Sep 6, 2022 Our paper titled “HealthPrompt: A zero-shot learning paradigm for Clinical Natural Language Processing” has been selected as one of the eight student paper finalists in the AMIA 2022 Annual Symposium. Congratulations Sonish!
- Aug 4, 2022 Welcome Stephen Shaffran to join the lab. Stephen is a Pitt ISP PhD student.
- Jul 29, 2022 Our proposal titled "AI-driven Precision Rehabilitation for Chronic Musculoskeletal Pain" has been selected for funding by the Dean’s Research and Development Award!
- Jun 1, 2022 Dr. Wang is organizing the AMIA 2022 NLP Working Group Pre-Symposium on Nov 5th at Washington, DC. See more details here.
- May 1, 2022 We have 1 paper and 2 posters accepted by AMIA 2022 Annual Symposium.
- Feb 23, 2022 Welcome David Oniani to join the lab again! David is a Machine Learning Research Scientist.
- Feb 22, 2022 Welcome Hunter Osterhoudt from Department of Computer Science to join my lab!
- Feb 15, 2022 Our proposal "Understanding Bias in Big Data and Artificial Intelligence for Health Care Through an Educational Health Informatics Hackathon" is funded by the Year of Data and Society!
- Feb 10, 2022 Our project on "Improving Health Equity by Analyzing Social Determinants of Health from the Electronic Health Records" is funded by Pitt Momentum Funds!
- Feb 2, 2022 Welcome Sreekanth Sreekumar from Department of Computer Science to join my lab!
- Dec 17, 2021 Our proposal titled "A3ST – AI Based Automated Fidelity Assessment for Strategy Training in Inpatient Rehabilitation" is funded by Clinical and Translational Science Institute (CTSI)!
- Dec 1, 2021 Welcome Sonish Sivarajkumar from Intelligent System Programs to join my lab!
- Sep, 2021 Dr. Wang gave a talk at the OHDSI NLP WG Monthly Meeting.
- Sep 1, 2021 Welcome Haneef Mohammad from Department of Information Science to join my lab!
- Jul, 2021 Dr. Wang's co-first-authored paper titled "Social and Behavioral Determinants of Health in the Era of Artificial Intelligence with Electronic Health Records: A Scoping Review" is accepted at Health Data Science, a Science Partner Journal.
- Jun, 2021 Dr. Wang joined the University of Pittsburgh as Assistant Professor and Vice Chair of Research at the Department of Health Information Management.